KEEP IT SIMPLE SHELVING UNIT (K.I.S.)
A Customizable, Universal, Cost-Effective, DIY Shelving prototype.
A universal design ethos drives the K.I.S. Shelving Unit. Inherent in the design are tenets of:
- material efficiency
- simplicity of design
- adaptability and re-use
- use of current production technology
- customization within parameters (veneer ply type & size)
- no attempt to pander to style
- emphasis on object as structurally honest tool for living.
1. User selects type of veneer plywood sheet (4’x8′ standard size)
2. User inputs desired shelf dimensions and number into flexible model. Parameters ensure that unit material is contained in 1 sheet of 4’x8′ plywood.
3. Parametric 3D model continuously updates output of 2D tool paths.
4. CNC Production of K.I.S. Unit.
5. End-user has customizable options (lasercut end panel etching).
6. Assembly of unit using pre-programmed, parametric, slotted joints utilizing no glue or fasteners (easy to disassemble / re-assemble).
Copyright Mary Barensfeld Architecture, Inc. 2017